While we always try to schedule planned appointments during office hours, sometimes a dental emergency will arise while we are closed. If this occurs, please call our office and if no one answers, leave us a message describing what has occurred. We will call you back as soon as we can.
If something life-threatening occurs — or if it is outside the procedures we provide — call 911 immediately or go to the closest emergency room.
What To Do While Waiting
If your issue is not life-threatening, there are several things you should keep in mind while waiting for us to return your call:
- Leave the problem area alone.
- Gather all pieces of chipped, broken, or damaged teeth or prosthetics to bring with you to the office.
- If a tooth is dislodged, hold it by the crown. Rinse a knocked-out permanent tooth gently under warm water, but be sure to not rinse away any attached tissue. Carefully place the tooth back in its socket to see if you can support it there until you arrive at our offices. If not, protect the tooth by placing it in a container filled with milk or saltwater. Do NOT use plain, salt-free water.
- Bite down on clean fabric — like cotton gauze — to help stop bleeding.
- Take an over-the-counter pain medication if the affected area hurts
- Help alleviate pain and swelling by gently placing a cold compress against your face in the area of discomfort.
If you have suffered a traumatic injury to your mouth or teeth, do not wait to contact us. The earlier we can see and treat you, the higher the success rate.
Contact Us If You Need Emergency Dentistry
If you have suffered an injury do not wait to schedule an appointment. Call Balboa Dental Surgery in Newport Beach, CA, at 949-630-0143.